Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Siren Song

Siren Song

This is the one song everyone
would like to learn: the song
that is irresistible:

the song that forces men
to leap overboard in squadrons
even though they see beached skulls

the song nobody knows
because anyone who had heard it
is dead, and the others can’t remember.

Shall I tell you the secret
and if I do, will you get me
out of this bird suit?

I don’t enjoy it here
squatting on this island
looking picturesque and mythical

with these two feathery maniacs,
I don’t enjoy singing
this trio, fatal and valuable.

I will tell the secret to you,
to you, only to you.
Come closer. This song

is a cry for help: Help me!
Only you, only you can,
you are unique

at last. Alas
it is a boring song
but it works every time.



Initial Impression-
The poem, “Siren Song,” seems to tell the story of a character who is a member of a crew. A siren usually signals danger, so the siren that that the character hears must be an ominous symbol. The siren may also be referring to the mythological creature. Seeing as the character in the poem says she is on an island and she doesn’t enjoy it, one can assume that the character is sadly attempting to drag others in her misery.

Paraphrase-
There is a song
that everyone wants learn and hear: the song
is mesmerizing .


The song cause makes people
to jump overboard in groups
and go towards the dead near the beach

No one knows the song
because anyone who has heard the song is either dead or doesn’t remember it.

I will tell you the secret about the song,
and if I do,
will you help me escape from this feathery bird suit?

The island is not enjoyable
sitting here all day
the view is charming and mythical .

With my two feathery partner,
I’m not happy singing all the time,
we are fatal yet we are valuable together.

Listen to my secret,
it is only for you, only you.
Continue coming towards me. This song

is a plea for help: Please help me!
Only you can truly help me,
you are special

finally. Alas
this is a boring song
but somehow it works everytime.


SWIFTT-
SW- The poem doesn’t follow a strict format. The syntax, however, is unique in that all the stanzas consist of three lines except for the second stanza. The author’s uses words that flatter the readers. For instance, the author calls the readers “unique,” making the readers feel special. Further, the author’s repeats many of the same phrases, making the poem lyrical as well as dramatic and compelling.
I- The description of the island creates a grimacing image, for the writer claims that “they can see beached skulls.” Skulls on an island make me think about an area filled with death and sadness. The imagery is indeed powerful, as it brings the readers into a vividly grim world.
F- The author does not use much figurative language. However, throughout the poem, the author alludes to the Greek mythological creature, a Siren.
T- Throughout the poem, the author’s diction creates a swaying, compelling tone. The narrator continually says “only you,” as if reader is unique. Throughout the poem, the narrator uses a persuasive tone to try to draw the readers in, just as a siren draws in her prey.
T- The theme can be inferred to be about the deceit and slick persuasion of a spire. Further, on a larger scale, the theme is about false appearances.

Conclusion-

The author, like the spire, is trying to sway the readers into a wretched world. The narrator in the poem says that she will tell the readers a secret; but really, she is deceitfully drawing the readers into the darkness in which she lives. When I initially read the poem, I understood that the author was acting as a spire, but I did not realize the true deceit the author was portraying until after I analyzed the poem. Also, after analyzing the poem, my understanding of how tone can help shape the theme has improved. In this poem, the narrator appeals to the reader using a persuasive tone; however, even though the tone of the narrator is sweet and compelling, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the narrator is a nice person.

No comments:

Post a Comment